- Public Works
- Refuse Collection Services
Refuse Collection Services
Once a week the town collects the following items curbside or at edge of pavement:
- Ordinary Household Trash
Bulk items/brush are currently picked up once per week on the same day as your refuse collection. These items can be placed out for bulk pick-up:
- Brush and Limbs
- Bulk Items (such as couches, chairs and large cardboard boxes)
- Yard debris
* Note: Bulk waste is not collected in alleys. Fees may apply for excessive amounts or for certain types of bulk waste. Residents may bring, at no charge, household waste and construction waste to the Roanoke Valley Resource Authority. For more information, please refer to the Residential Disposal Policy (PDF).
To see which day your home is provided this service, please refer to our A-Z and numbered streets listing, solid waste pick-up schedule (PDF) or the solid waste pick-up map (PDF). When the town has a holiday, this is subject to change. Please refer to the solid waste holiday schedule (PDF) for changes to your normal pick-up. For more information, please refer to our Solid Waste Q and A (PDF) or call the Public Works Department at 540-983-0646. For recycling information (including leaf collection) please refer to our recycling page.
Additional Refuse Cart Request
- Residential - One additional refuse cart can be requested for a fee of $5.00 per month. The $5.00 fee will be added to the utility bill. Please allow for 7-10 business days for delivery of additional refuse cart.
- Business/Commercial - Up to two additional refuse carts can be requested for a fee of $5.00 per month per cart. The $5.00 fee will be added to the utility bill. Please allow for 7-10 business days for delivery of additional refuse cart(s).
Additional Refuse Cart Request Form
Cardboard Box Disposal
When disposing of cardboard boxes of 1 cubic foot or less in size, please break them down to fit into the Town refuse cart. If the cardboard boxes are larger than 1 cubic foot and/or will not fit into the Town refuse cart, the cardboard boxes will be collected by the Town’s bulk truck. If possible, please break down the larger cardboard boxes and any other cardboard boxes that would not fit into the Town refuse cart and place at the curb or edge of the street away from the Town refuse cart, mail boxes and parked cars. This will make it easier for the bulk truck to pick them up. The Town bulk truck does not collect in alleys, so large cardboard boxes will need to be placed on the street side of your residence. Contact: Vinton Public Works Department with any questions at 540-983-0646.
The tire disposal program allows residents to dispose of up to four tires per year. On the designated days, you can put your tires at the curb. The schedule for 2023 is as follows:
- February 13 and 14
- May 8 and 9
- August 14 and 15
- October 23 and 24
The Town does not collect any hazardous waste & other prohibited items.
Town Code, Section 78-12:
(d) In no event shall hazardous waste or household hazardous waste, as defined in section 10.1-1400 of the Code of Virginia (1950), as amended, be placed out for collection or be collected by the town.
(e)(1) Prohibited items include: tree stumps or root balls, dead animals, automobile or motorcycle parts, machinery, waste material produced in the construction, remodeling, repair, or demolition of buildings, homes, industrial plants, pavements and structures including but not limited to, lumber, concrete, asphalt, fencing, roofing materials, plaster, gypsum board, piping and all other similar items, herbicides, insecticides, household cleaners, or any other material deemed unsafe for collection. (2) Notwithstanding the above subsection, not more than four un-mounted automobile tires will be collected from a household per calendar year at no charge.