In accordance with the statewide Fire Prevention Code and Roanoke County ordinance, brush burning permits are available through the by contacting the fire marshal at the Roanoke County fire & rescue office
All burn sites will be inspected by a member of the Roanoke County fire marshal’s office to verify code compliance. The inspector will issue the permit if the criteria are met.
Applying for a Permit
To obtain a Brush Burning Permit Application, contact the Roanoke County fire marshal's office
at (540) 777-8732 at least 10 days in advance of the scheduled burn date. There is no fee requirement for this permit.
Guidelines for Burning
- Burning must be at least 500 feet from any occupied building, unless the occupants / owners have given written permission prior to the burning
- Burning must be at least 50 feet from any structure under any condition
- The fire must be attended at all times
- A means to control and suppress the fire must be readily available at the burn site
- Burning shall not be conducted during windy conditions
- Waste material, construction debris, and garbage cannot be burned under any condition
Both the Roanoke County/Vinton dispatch center must be notified prior to each day's burn with a permit number at (540) 562-3265. Permits usually last for a period of 30 days.
Burning will not be allowed during certain times of the year or under certain weather conditions. The Commonwealth of Virginia
has a statewide burn law in effect each year from February 15 until April 30. The Roanoke County fire marshal has the authority to suspend burning at any time when severely dry weather conditions pose a hazard. Please call the Roanoke County fire marshal’s office at (540) 777-8732 for additional information in this matter.