The major rules when using these devices in the Town include:
Before turning or altering the course of operation of any device, the operator shall use hand signals to indicate the direction in which it is intended to proceed.
Use of helmets are strongly encouraged for all users.
Bicycles and e-scooters shall be parked in such a manner as to provide a 4-foot pedestrian clear zone area in the sidewalk.
- Stand-up electric scooters are to stay to the right of street lanes and to offer the right of way to bicycles on bike lanes and bike paths.
- Users must not ride on sidewalks, trails, or greenways and must yield to pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Operation by anyone less than 16 years old is prohibited.
- All users must carry a government-issued photo ID when operating a device.
- Users shall ride on streets, and where available, in bike lanes.
- Parking must be done in designated areas.
- Wearing headphones on or in both ears while riding a bicycle or scooter is prohibited.
- Operating a shared mobility device while texting or while under the influence of alcohol is prohibited.
The four most important things to keep in mind when using these devices can easily be remembered by using the attached S.A.F.E.
For inquiries or questions, contact Nathan McClung at 540-283-7009 or by email